Sunday, December 19, 2010

"I studied biology because I was interested in animals and plants and when I was studying it in Cambridge I began to have terrible doubts of what I was doing because everything that really interested me about animals and plants somehow vanished when I got into biochemistry and biology. I was majoring in biochemistry and I did a PhD in biochemistry there but theres a curious thing about biochemistry, your doing biochemistry to study the molecular basis of life, yet the very first thing you do as a biochemist is kill whatever your studying, grind it up, extract the enzymes and then in a test tube study the properties of some of these molecules extracted from this killed organism, and it began to occur to me that perhaps this wasnt the best way to understand life...."

-Rupert Sheldrake
'Metamorphosis: A trialogue on chaos and the world soul with
Rupert Sheldrake, Ralph Abraham, and Terence McKenna'